Tuesday, July 12, 2011

My Thoughts Exactly

I read the following at The Variegated Life
  • How can I teach the Critter to be gentle if I’m yelling all the time? How can we teach the Critter to take care of his things if we’re letting clutter pile up everywhere? How can I teach the Critter that his dreams matter if I let the shitbird frighten me away from my own true heart’s desires?
These are exactly the same thoughts I have about raising my son. I don't want him to remember his childhood as a time when he was getting yelled at all the time, because that is how I remembered my childhood for so long, and I hated it.

I want to go home from work at night and play with him quietly and teach him things but, I get home and he goes into some other mode. He gets grabby and screamy and all he wants to do is go outside even though it is dinner time and I am starving. So I rush through dinner and we go outside and he is mostly good, but as soon as we get in the house, it starts all over again. Perhaps this little guy just wants to have the camping life also. I can't wait to take him camping. To introduce him to sleeping in a tent. Maybe, since the air conditioning appears to be broken, we should sleep outside for the rest of the summer and have a taste of camping.

I also want to let him have fun and discover all the wonders of life, but it's hard to balance the fun he has spraying the water from the bathroom faucet with my knowledge that water is precious and should not be wasted like that. Does anyone ever find the balance? If you have, let me know how you did it.

No comments:

Post a Comment