Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Tuesday Morning at Home

This morning I was putting my vanilla soy yogurt back into the refrigerator when it slipped out of my hand. It hit the floor at just the right angle to shatter the bottom. Yogurt shot across the kitchen. “Shit,” I yelled. Little bug came running into the kitchen to see what happened. I tried to stay calm and not get angry about the mess I'd made. I got a dish to put it into but couldn’t find a spatula to scrape the yogurt into the bowl. I finally found both a top and handle to the spatula, but since I couldn’t put the yogurt down I had to put the spatula together with one hand. When the thing was put together “good enough” I walked toward the bowl and stepped in yogurt. It had shot further across the floor than I thought.
My husband came into the kitchen, "Do you need some help out here?"
"I just have to clean up this yogurt that slipped out of my hand and shot all over the kitchen." 
He left the kitchen and it was just me and bug again.
It had also gotten all over my pants. I wiped it off and just said, “Oh well, I’m not going to bother changing my pants.”
I began to clean the floor with paper towel. All the while I kept talking to buggy clamly. “Yeah, mama made a big mess,” and so on. As I wiped and wiped, he come up to me and patted me on the back. “Thank you,” I told him. It was one of the sweetest things ever.
If I'd let myself get pissed off about the mess, the time I was going to spend cleaning it up, etc. Little bug probably would have been too scared to stay near me. This time I kept my cool and my little bug was able to comfort me like I comfort him.

No comments:

Post a Comment